50. Frink July 5, 1850

We started at six o'clock and traveled northward, down the valley of Bear River—the mountains on our right, the river on our left. About three miles from the camp, we came to a rapid stream called Smith's Fork, issuing from the high mountains on our right, and divided into four separate creeks that ran across our road to the river. The second one being very narrow and deep, with perpendicular banks, had been bridged in a novel manner. A log had been split in the center and laid across with the flat sides up, at the proper distance to fit the wagon wheels; so that, by using a little care, the wagons could be safely crossed.


The map below shows the approximate crossing point for Smith's Fork, and the approximate campsite for the night of July 5