The Applegate Trail is broken into 3 segments by the Trails West guidebooks. One or more of these books may be available for purchase in the CTIC gift shop or you can purchase them directly from Trails West on their website. They have an online photo tour along the Applegate Trail and many of those photos are used here as well.
The Applegate Trail was opened in 1846 by group of men on horseback led by Jesse Applegate. Starting in Oregon, they sought a better wagon road. Working their way east and south they eventually intersected the California Trail below the big bend of the Humboldt River. They then headed on to Fort Hall to lead incoming wagons back along their new route.
You might find this information page about the Applegate Trail on the National Park Service website interesting.
"Camped on the lake last night. Our rode on the lakes edge ... follows the west side for a long distance to opozit whare we camed last night ... but our rode leave the lake here and goes up the mountain." - J. Bardin, August 4, 1853
"Forks 1846 and 1853 roads: Rolling ... top of ground for miles neither wheel of wagon nor foot of horse ever touched the soil. Ground covered with loose rocks as thick as they can be planted. A 'Devil's Garden' yet found." - Major Green, September 19, 1872
"Our road today was over high and very stony and well timbered with pine and cedar. Camp at some holes of water at the head of a creek. The country generally less mountainous than before" - Virgil Pringle, September 23, 1846
"Met a company of volunteers from the Rogue River Valley, bringing the joyful intelligence supplies have been sent out …joyfulness to us, who have been living on half a slice of bread and poor beef..." - Velina Williams, September 28, 1853
LEAVE FLETCHER CREEK
"After traveling down this branch about 4 miles we turned to the right; passed a ridge and in 6 miles from branch we came to Goff's Springs... roads here are very rocky... distance today 10 miles." - L. G. Hulin, October 4, 1847
BLAZED PINE TREE
"...Then turn W.N.W at Blazed Pine Tree, on which is written '5 M. to water' ...over a very, very rocky road, literally paved, to steep decent 4 miles ...along valley, 5 M. grass and water." - John Pratt Welsh, September 7, 1851
"Camped at a magnificent spring of fresh cold water, which we called Goff's Spring, in honor of the newly elected lieutenant of the company." - Levi Scott, South Road Exploring Party, 1846
"Drove 15 miles over rockey road and campt near what are called "Rushing Springs" [Steele Swamp], a good place for a camp, plenty good grass." - James S. Cowden, September 29, 1853
OVER ROCKY LAND
"Get away in fair season, road good for 2 M and fair camping then over rocky land 5 MS to grass and water, follow along the grass a mile or so then across a marsh to clear lake" - John Pratt Welsh, August 22, 1853
ON LITTLE TULEY LAKE
"Made 15 miles and camped on Little Tuley Lake [Clear Lake]. About noon we came in sight of Shasta Butte [Mt. Shasta] ...this Butte, with its crested top reaching far up towards the heavens, is a grand sight." - Charles J. Cummings, September 8, 1859
"Over divide to Tule Lake, on to Lost river, passed in sight of Bloody Point where a train of emigrants were cut off last year. This afternoon Geo.W. Ebey killed a brant on the lake. Oh, so good to eat" - James Henry Bascom Royal, October 19, 1853
Capt. Jack's winter camp was located approximately 1/4 mile east of here and was the site of the opening battle of the Modoc War - November, 1872